Monday, August 12, 2013

Purple Sparkly Smokey Eyes

Hello glamour dolls!!

Before I start, I just want to mention that yes, this is still very much the same blog, but with a new and improved look. I felt it was time to get rid of the default view and learn a little bit about customizing my blog so that it can grow further. Do you like the new look or do you prefer the old look? Let me know, I'm curious.

And another thing, MAC has changed some of their prices. While some items have increased in price, others have decreased. For example, Paint Pots are a dollar more, 24$CAD and Eyeshadow Refills for palettes are now a couple dollars lower at 12$CAD. I know that the pro palette inserts (the 15X eyeshadow trays and 6X blush trays) are 2$CAD, which is ridiculously cheap. I'm quoting the prices that they have online right now at the time of publication of this post. I'll try to update new posts to reflect this price change in the "Products Used" part of this post, but I do know a lot of them from memory so sorry if a few aren't completely accurate!




I know I do a ton of smokey eyes. But this one is a purple smokey eye, not using any black. Well except for a paint pot but that doesn't count. I'm using MAC Mineralize Eyeshadow in Young Punk which is a dark blackish purple with loads of purple sparkles. I use a MAC Paint Pot in Blackground because it is a good dark cream base, which allows the sparkles to adhere to the lid. It intensifies the sparkles. For the rest of the look, I used MAC Eyeshadows in Fig.1, Indian Ink, and Vanilla. I wanted a really dramatic look so I made it very bold and blended color all the way across the crease. You don't have to do it as intense if you don't want to. This look is also more of an evening/party look, it is definitely not day wear.




For the face, I used MAC Powder Blush in Dame, which is a blue based pink. It's very light and subtle, which works great with this look because you don't want your cheeks or lips to be too overbearing; you want all the attention to be focused on your magnificent sparkly smokey eyes. To contour I used Too Faced Pink Leopard. I haven't been using it that much lately, I'm ashamed to admit. I've been having a secret love affair with Bronzed and Poreless. It's such a lovely matte bronzer and it's light enough for even me to wear it! It just gives you a natural looking tan without having to do the work. I came back to my first love today, though. They changed the formula and I have to admit, I liked the old formula more. For the lips, I used my first ever lip pencil and holy moly, I LOVE IT AND WHERE HAS IT BEEN ALL MY LIFE?!?!?!? It's MAC Hip N Honey, which is the perfect light blue-toned pink. It goes with a lot of my lipsticks, which I'm super happy about because I wanted a lip pencil that could go with more than just one. However, MAC didn't have much selection for lighter colors. I paired this lip pencil with MAC Mineralize Rich Lipstick in Dreaminess and wow they looked fantastic together. My lips feel so much more defined, I'm in love!

Purple Sparkly Smokey Eyes using MAC




To prep our eyes we are going to use a cream base because it is sticky and we need our mineralize eyeshadow to adhere to the base all day long. Using a medium or large shadow brush (Sephora PRO Large Shadow Brush), apply MAC Paint Pot in Blackground to your eyelid and crease, extending it just a bit past your crease. Take a blending brush (MAC 217 Brush) and blend out the crease. You want to get rid of all harsh lines. Go back over the lid with Blackground if needed. Take MAC Mineralize Eyeshadow in Young Punk and push it over the lid using a medium shadow brush (Sephora PRO Medium Shadow Brush). Take a clean blending brush (MAC 217 Brush) and start blending MAC Eyeshadow in Fig.1 to your crease. Blend it outward because we will create a gradient effect using the next eyeshadow. Make sure you take it all the way in to your inner eye. Take MAC Eyeshadow in Indian Ink (Pro) and deepen the color in the outer part of the crease, making sure to keep the gradient effect. Take MAC Eyeshadow in Vanilla and lightly blend out the edges so there are no harsh lines using a crease or blending brush (Sephora PRO Crease Brush). Make sure you choose a matte color because you want all the attention to be on the sparkly purple, and to not turn into a total disco ball. Line your upper and lower waterline with Too Faced Perfect Eyes in Perfect Black. For the lower lashline, smudge MAC Paint Pot in Blackground all around the lashline and go over it with a smudge or smokey eye brush (Sephora PRO Smokey Brush) with MAC Eyeshadow in Fig.1. Smudge MAC Eyeshadow in Indian Ink (Pro) onto the outer part of the lashline. Finish the eyes off with Too Faced Lashgasm Mascara to both your top and bottom lashes. Lightly fill in your brows using Benefit Instant Brow Pencil. The eyes are done, let's do the rest of the face!




Prep your face using Too Faced Primed and Poreless. Cover your undereye circles using MAC Select Cover-Up Concealer and a concealer brush (Sephora PRO Concealer Brush). Then apply a foundation such as MUFE HD Foundation and using a stippling brush (Sephora PRO Stippling Brush) to give it an air-brushed finish. If there is any redness or blemishes still showing, apply MAC Studio Finish Concealer with your fingers. To set the foundation and concealer, use a kabuki brush (MUFE HD Kabuki Brush) to gently tap and buff in MUFE HD Powder. Using Too Faced Pink Bronzer and a powder brush (Sephora Collection Powder Brush), gently apply it all over the face, focusing on areas such as the perimeter of the face, the temples, etc. Then apply MAC Powder Blush in Dame into the apples of the cheeks and blend outwards. The last step is the lips. Apply MAC Lip Liner in Hip n Happy to the perimeter of your lips and apply MAC Mineralize Rich Lipstick in Dreaminess to your lips. Voila! The look is done.




Eyes:

MAC Paint Pot in Blackground
MAC Mineralize Eyeshadow in Young Punk
MAC Eyeshadow in Fig.1
MAC Eyeshadow in Indian Ink (Pro)
MAC Eyeshadow in Vanilla
Too Faced Perfect Eyes in Perfect Black
Too Faced Lashgasm Mascara

Brows

Benefit Instant Brow Pencil in Medium






Face:

Too Faced Primed and Poreless
MAC Select Cover-Up Concealer in NW20
MAC Studio Finish Concealer in NW20
MUFE HD Foundation in 110
MUFE HD Powder
MAC Powder Blush in Dame
Too Faced Pink Leopard





Lips:

MAC Lip Pencil in Hip n Honey
MAC Mineralize Rich Lipstick in Dreaminess











Products Used:


MAC Paint Pot in Blackground

MAC Paint Pot in Blackground - 24$CAD

MAC Mineralize Eyeshadow in Young Punk

MAC Mineralize Eyeshadow in Young Punk - 24$CAD

MAC Eyeshadows (12$CAD each for palette refill) in:
Fig.1
Indian Ink (pro)
Vanilla

Too Faced Perfect Eyes in Perfect Black - 25$CAD

Too Faced Lashgasm Mascara - 28$CAD

Benefit Instant Brow Pencil in Medium - 25$CAD

MAC Powder Blush in Dame

MAC Powder Blush in Dame - 25$CAD

Too Faced Pink Leopard

Too Faced Pink Leopard - 38$CAD

MAC Lip Pencil in Hip n Happy - 18$CAD

MAC Mineralize Rich Lipstick in Dreaminess - 26$CAD
Swatches from left to right:
MAC Paint Pot in Blackground
MAC Mineralize Eyeshadow in Young Punk
MAC Eyeshadow in Fig.1
MAC Eyeshadow in Indian Ink (Pro)
MAC Eyeshadow in Vanilla
Too Faced Perfect Eyes in Perfect Black
MAC Powder Blush in Dame
Too Faced Pink Leopard
MAC Lip Pencil in Hip n Happy
MAC Mineralize Rich Lipstick in Dreaminess














Thanks for reading and I hope you liked today's post! I also hope you like the new layout, please leave any comments you have about it. I changed it so that it better reflected who I am.

What did you think of the look? I love it. It's dark and sparkly. Smokey eyes don't have to be strictly black either. It looks just as good with a dark purple or any other darker color. Just make sure you use a good sticky dark base if you're using glittery shadows. I like how it turned out, I just with that Young Punk could have had a touch more purple in it. It applies very dark (almost black) with just a few purple sparkles. I prefer not to apply my shadows wet for hygienic/sanitation reasons.

I also love my new lip liner. MAC Hip n Happy goes well with so many blue-based pinks! It makes my lips look fuller and more defined and the color of it is just so versatile! The Mineralize Rich Lipsticks have a great formula to them and they glide on like a dream and have so much color in them. Dreaminess is such a wonderful light pink shade and it matches with the lip liner perfectly.

Did you like the look? What's your favorite part about it as well as your favorite product? Let me know what you think about it! Coming up soon, I will do a tutorial using the MAC Illustrated Rebecca Moses Face Palette in Plum and I have another tutorial using the NARS Fairy's Kiss Eyeshadow palette along with a bunch of other things. I'm also approaching my 100th post so more details on that later!

Steph xo.





1 comment:

  1. A little bit goes a long way, doll. I adore smokey eyes, but not your style. Would love to see you do a better blended and less raccoon smokey eye.

    ReplyDelete